Sunday 16 August 2009

Topographical universals

People must have written about this but I can't think of any examples, though Gaston Bachelard would be a likely person.

I'm aware that for me there are topographical universals, recurrent environmental or landscape conditions that have perennial phenomenological significance. They are recurrent themes that I feel I recognise in the specifics of particular locations and views. The most poetic incorporate hills.

One such universal would be approaching the top of a rise over which the roofs of houses can be seen. (That's the Breton flag.)


Another is entering a village:

-- in this case Plogoff, Brittany.

Another is leaving it (the same way):


The distant view is towards Audierne.

(Some pics that I thought iPhoto had irretrievably destroyed have turned up in another neck of my virtual woods - hence this posting.)

1 comment:

Jen G said...

Hi Pete, I love your blog, though I don't always leave a comment, so I thought I would dedicate a whole post to you:

http://jengilbert.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-heart-pete-medway.html